Warren Resources Inc. reported Monday that it has closed on its previously announced deal to acquire certain additional natural gas and midstream assets from subsidiaries of Anadarko Petroleum Corp. in the Atlantic Rim Project area in Wyoming’s Washakie Basin. After learning this past summer that Anadarko was soliciting bids for all of its operated coalbed methane (CBM) assets in the Atlantic Rim Project (see Daily GPI, Aug. 9), Warren, which was a working partner with Anadarko on a number of the assets, decided to exercise its preferential rights to purchase Anadarko’s share.
Under the deal, Warren acquired 79% of Anadarko’s working interest in the Spyglass Hill Unit area within the Atlantic Rim Project, representing approximately 37,142 net leasehold acres and an approximate 32.8% additional total unit working interest therein, for a purchase price of $11.4 million, which increased its working interest in the entire unit from 30.1% to 62.9%. Warren’s working interests in the three currently producing participating areas (PA) increased as follows: (A) the Doty Mountain PA increased from approximately 40% to 73%; (B) the Sun Dog PA increased from approximately 42% to 67%; and (C) the Grace Point PA increased from approximately 45% to 86%.
Warren also acquired 26.5% of Anadarko’s interest in the Catalina Unit area within the Atlantic Rim Project, representing approximately 1,121 net leasehold acres and an approximate 5.2% additional total unit working interest therein, for a purchase price of $0.7 million, which increased its working interest in the entire unit area from 16.9% to about 22%. Warren’s working interest in the currently producing Catalina Unit PA increased from approximately 8.0% to 12.5%.
In addition, Warren acquired 100% of Anadarko’s 50% interest in the gas gathering, compression and pipeline midstream assets within the Atlantic Rim Project for a purchase price of $4 million. The midstream assets consist of gathering and compression equipment and a 59-mile long pipeline that transports gas from the gathering systems throughout the Spyglass Hill Unit area to the Wyoming Interstate Company (WIC) interstate gas transportation pipeline.
While CBM is currently the main target in the region, some of the acreage is expected to have Niobrara and Green River formation prospects. During an August conference call to discuss 2Q2012 earnings, Price said that while Warren was interested in the Niobrara and Green River formations down the road, it currently had no plans to do any “deep testing” on the CBM.
As a result of the transaction, Warren’s estimated proved developed reserves in the Atlantic Rim increased by approximately 18.3 Bcf. Additionally, the acquisition will add natural gas production of about 7.8 MMcf/d. As a result Warren acquired proved developed reserves at a price of $0.65/Mcf, or approximately $1,550 per flowing Mcf, of natural gas production.
Warren exercised its preferential rights to purchase Anadarko’s interests after Anadarko advised Warren that it had entered into an agreement to sell these assets to Double Eagle Petroleum Co. on Aug. 16.
Â©Copyright 2012Intelligence Press Inc. All rights reserved. The preceding news reportmay not be republished or redistributed, in whole or in part, in anyform, without prior written consent of Intelligence Press, Inc.
© 2021 Natural Gas Intelligence. All rights reserved.
ISSN © 1532-1231 | ISSN © 2577-9877 |