North Dakota Department Mineral Resources

North Dakota Natural Gas Production Rebounds from Winter Outages as Prices Still at Historic Lows

North Dakota Natural Gas Production Rebounds from Winter Outages as Prices Still at Historic Lows

Natural gas production in North Dakota averaged 3.36 Bcf/d in February, up 12% month/month, according to the state’s Department of Mineral Resources (DMR). February “was a very good month for the state, recovering from the late-December/early-January winter weather,” said DMR’s Lynn Helms, Oil and Gas Division director, during a press conference. Operators captured and marketed…

April 19, 2024
North Dakota Poised for Production Bump with More Natural Gas Takeaway Needed, Officials Say

North Dakota Poised for Production Bump with More Natural Gas Takeaway Needed, Officials Say

Well completion activity is on the rise in North Dakota, likely heralding a surge in oil and gas production and underscoring the need for more natural gas egress capacity, state regulators said Friday (July 14). Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) Director Lynn Helms and North Dakota Pipeline Authority Director Justin Kringstad held a press conference…

July 19, 2023
North Dakota Natural Gas Production Holding Steady Amid Sub-$2 Prices 

North Dakota Natural Gas Production Holding Steady Amid Sub-$2 Prices 

North Dakota reported flat growth in natural gas production in March versus February, with producers signaling no plans to curb output despite low prices in the Bakken Shale, according to the state’s Department of Mineral Resources (DMR). DMR’s Lynn Helms, Oil and Gas Division director, hosted a press briefing last week to discuss the March…

May 17, 2023
Hess, Nabors, Halliburton to Fund North Dakota Tribal Apprenticeship Program

Hess, Nabors, Halliburton to Fund North Dakota Tribal Apprenticeship Program

The North Dakota Tribal College System (NDTCS) is partnering with three leading oil and gas companies on an apprenticeship program to develop a homegrown workforce in the energy sector and other trades. Persistent labor shortages have plagued the Williston Basin, home to the mighty Bakken Shale, one of the Lower 48’s major oil and gas…

September 26, 2022
North Dakota Markets Record Natural Gas Volumes, Reports Three-Year Permitting High

North Dakota Markets Record Natural Gas Volumes, Reports Three-Year Permitting High

North Dakota posted a 1.5% month/month increase in natural gas production and a record high volume of gas captured in July, despite a 2.5% decline in oil output.  Natural gas production averaged 3.1 Bcf/d, of which 3 Bcf/d or 94% was captured and sent to market while the remaining 6% was flared off, according to…

September 19, 2022
North Dakota Natural Gas Production Surges as Capture Rate Holds Steady

North Dakota Natural Gas Production Surges as Capture Rate Holds Steady

Natural gas production in North Dakota swelled by 9.7% in June versus May to 3.06 Bcf/d, while oil production rose 3.5% to 1.1 million b/d, according to the latest figures from the North Dakota Industrial Commission (NDIC). The increases reflect a full recovery from disruptions caused by April snowstorms, as well as strong market fundamentals…

August 19, 2022
Oil, Natural Gas Activity Creeping Upward in North Dakota as Labor Challenges Persist

Oil, Natural Gas Activity Creeping Upward in North Dakota as Labor Challenges Persist

Active drilling rigs, hydraulic fracturing crews and drilling permits all are creeping upward in North Dakota, though workforce challenges remain a hindrance to faster growth, the state’s top oil regulator said Tuesday (July 19). North Dakota had 42 active rigs as of Tuesday (July 19), which also was the monthly average for June. This is…

July 25, 2022
North Dakota Oil, Natural Gas Activity at Two-Year High Despite Labor Shortage

North Dakota Oil, Natural Gas Activity at Two-Year High Despite Labor Shortage

North Dakota’s tally of active oil and natural gas drilling rigs and hydraulic fracturing (frack) crews has risen to levels not seen since the start of the pandemic, the state’s top oil and gas regulator said Friday. The rig count stood at 40 as of Friday, the highest since March 2020, North Dakota Department of…

May 19, 2022
Bakken Looking to Grow Oil Reserves on EOR, Technology

Bakken Looking to Grow Oil Reserves on EOR, Technology

The Bakken Shale is coming back strong in the months ahead as producers secure more permits and boosted by improved technologies, according to North Dakota officials. North Dakota Department of Mineral Resources Director Lynn Helms said at the Williston Basin Petroleum Conference in Bismarck, ND, earlier this month that he had signed orders for another…

May 25, 2021